Thursday, February 26, 2009

By Way of Introduction



Hello and welcome to Khorium Powered Tank Engine. My name is Etaiu, and I will be your host. I started this site in order to provide a much-needed resources for feral tanks. I've read other feral tank blogs (they know who they are) and found them wanting in focus. By too-often straying from its core competency, a blog can quickly devolve into a personal soap box.

So, in keeping with my real-life and in-game engineering tendencies, I will keep the feature-creep out of this blog, and maintain a surgical focus on Engineering-augmented Feral Tanking. This is not my only blog, so you the reader can expect an optimal amount of (zero) spillover from unrelated subjects. Some of the information I provide will be my own findings, and some will be received knowledge that I will try to independently verify or debunk.

The main purpose of this site will be twofold.
  1. To develop a more comprehensive understanding of Effective Health through Mitigation, Avoidance and sheer Leatherbelliness™. Gear analysis and comparisons will play a role in this.
  2. To illustrate sound feral tanking technique, augmented by engineering, to maximize your control in dungeon situations. Tricks of the trade, including (but not limited to) dungeon strategies, macros, and gadgetry will factor into this analysis.

The first duty of a tank is not to stay alive, but to keep their party alive and buy them time to bring down the quarry. Staying alive is merely a habit in keeping with that primary goal. Threat generation, agg management, communication, mob handling, situational awareness, and wipe recovery are all equally important components of a tank's arsenal.

3 comments:

  1. "So, in keeping with my real-life and in-game engineering tendencies, I will keep the feature-creep out of this blog, and maintain a surgical focus on Engineering-augmented Feral Tanking."

    Good luck in your quest to remain focused. Teeth and Claws started out much like this, but I found it becoming a chore to write narrowly, and then WotLK blew the need to play well right out of tanking. :/ (i.e. when was the last time you had to worry about keeping a tight rotation to out-threat the DPS?)

    I'm hoping Ulduar and the changes that come with it make tanking once again a more challenging activity. (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I like your style, being a part time bear myself. I'll be adding you to my blogroll. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to it a lot! but... dont you have a zillion alts you're tempted to tell us all about too? I'd love to hear how wonderfully your lvl 25 shaman is doing :P

    ReplyDelete